Copyright is form of legal protection for creative works, such as books, music, films, software and other original works of authorships. It gives the creators of these works the exclusive right to control their use and distribution, including the right to make copies, sell the work, perform the work in public, or display the work online, copyright protection is automatic in most countries, including Pakistan, as soon as a creative work is fixed in a tangible form, In some cases, it may be necessary to register the copyright with a government agency to enforce the copyright in court. Copyright law is designed to balance the interests of creators and users, and sets out certain exceptions and limitations that allow users to make use copyrighted works without the permission of the copyright owner, as long as they meet certain conditions.
To register a copyright in Pakistan, you will need to follow the following steps:
- Determine eligibility: To be eligible for copyright protection in Pakistan, the work must be original and must be expressed in a tangible form, such as a literary, musical, artistic, or cinematographic work.
- Prepare and file the copyright application: The copyright application should include the following information: the name and address of the copyright owner, a clear description of the work, and the date of creation.
- Pay the required fee: The fee for filing a copyright application in Pakistan is PKR 1,000 per application.
- Wait for the registration certificate: After the copyright application has been filed, the Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan (IPO-Pakistan) will conduct a formal examination and issue a registration certificate if the copyright is approved.
- Obtain the copyright registration certificate: If the copyright is approved, IPO-Pakistan will issue a copyright registration certificate, which will be valid for the lifetime of the copyright owner and for 50 years after their death.
The following documents are required to register a copyright in Pakistan:
- The completed copyright application form
- A clear description of the work
- Proof of payment of the required fee
- Power of Attorney, if the copyright is being filed by a representative
To search for a copyright in Pakistan, you can use the online database provided by the Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan (IPO-Pakistan). The database contains information about registered copyrights in Pakistan and allows you to search for a specific copyright by name, date of registration, or other criteria.
Here’s how to search for a copyright in Pakistan:
- Visit the IPO-Pakistan website: The IPO-Pakistan website .
- Select the “Copyright Search” option: On the IPO-Pakistan website, click on the “Copyright Search” option, which is located in the “Services” section.
- Enter the search criteria: In the search form, enter the criteria that you would like to use to search for the copyright. This can include the name of the copyright owner, the title of the work, the date of registration, or other information.
- Conduct the search: After entering the search criteria, click the “Search” button to conduct the search.
- View the search results: The search results will display a list of all copyrights that match your criteria. You can click on each result to view more detailed information about the copyright, including the date of registration, the name of the copyright owner, and a description of the work.
Note that the IPO-Pakistan’s database may not contain information about all copyrights in Pakistan, as some copyrights may not have been registered. In such cases, it may be necessary to conduct a more comprehensive search, including searching for the work online or consulting with a copyright attorney.