When incorporating a company in Pakistan, certain NOCs (No Objection Certificates), licenses, and permits are required based on the type and nature of the business. Some of the types of NOCs, licenses, and permits required are:
A trade license is a legal document issued by the local government to permit businesses or individuals to engage in commercial activities within a specific jurisdiction. In Pakistan, the process of obtaining a trade license varies depending on the type of business and location.
The local government authority responsible for issuing trade licenses in Pakistan is the Municipal Corporation or Union Council of the respective city or district. The following are the general steps involved in obtaining a trade license:
- Check eligibility: The applicant must check whether their business is eligible for a trade license, and what type of license is required.
- Fill out application form: The applicant must fill out the application form for a trade license with all necessary information and attach required documents.
- Submit application and pay fees: The completed application form must be submitted to the relevant Municipal Corporation or Union Council, along with the required fees.
- Inspection and verification: The concerned authority will conduct an inspection to verify the information provided in the application form.
- Issuance of license: Once the verification is completed, the trade license will be issued to the applicant.
It is important to note that the requirements and fees for obtaining a trade license can vary depending on the type of business and location. It is advisable to check with the local authorities for specific requirements and fees applicable to the area where the business is to be established.
National Tax Number (NTN)
NTN stands for National Tax Number which is a unique identification number assigned to individuals and businesses registered with the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) in Pakistan for tax purposes. Getting an NTN is a simple process and can be done through both online and offline methods.
Here are the steps to get an NTN in Pakistan:
- Visit the FBR website (https://iris.fbr.gov.pk/public/txplogin.xhtml) and create an account by providing your personal information.
- Once your account is created, log in to the FBR portal and click on the ‘Registration for Unregistered Person’ button.
- Select the appropriate tax type for which you want to register (income tax, sales tax, or both).
- Fill in the online form with all the required details such as personal and business information.
- Upload the scanned copies of all the required documents such as CNIC, bank statement, business registration documents, etc.
- Once you have submitted the application, you will receive an email confirming the successful submission of your application.
- The FBR will review your application and documents and may contact you for further verification.
- Once your application is approved, you will be issued an NTN certificate which will be sent to your registered email address.
Alternatively, you can also visit the nearest FBR Regional Tax Office (RTO) or Tax Facilitation Center (TFC) with all the required documents and submit your application in person. After verification of your documents, you will be issued an NTN certificate on the spot.
It is important to note that getting an NTN is mandatory for all businesses and individuals who are required to pay taxes in Pakistan.
Sales Tax Registration
To get a Sales Tax Registration Number (STRN) in Pakistan, you need to follow these steps:
- Fill out the STRN registration form: You can download the form from the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) website or collect it from the nearest Regional Tax Office (RTO). The form requires you to provide basic information about your business, such as your name, address, type of business, and the nature of the goods or services you provide.
- Attach the required documents: You need to attach a copy of your National Tax Number (NTN) certificate, bank account details, and proof of ownership of the business premises.
- Submit the form and documents: Submit the filled-out form along with the required documents to the nearest RTO.
- Verification process: After submission, your application will go through a verification process to ensure that the information provided is correct and that you meet the criteria for registration.
- Payment of registration fee: Once your application is approved, you will be required to pay the registration fee at the designated bank.
- Receive STRN: After payment of the registration fee, you will receive your STRN.
It is important to note that a person cannot make taxable supplies unless they have obtained an STRN. Therefore, businesses that are required to register for sales tax must do so in a timely manner to avoid penalties and legal consequences.
An import/export license is a document that permits an individual or a company to engage in the trade of goods and services across international borders. This license is issued by the government of a country and is necessary for any business that wants to import or export products.
To obtain an import/export license in Pakistan, you need to follow these steps:
- Obtain National Tax Number (NTN) and Sales Tax Registration Number (STRN): These are mandatory for any business operation in Pakistan, including import/export. You can obtain both from Federal Board of Revenue (FBR).
- Open a bank account: You need to open a bank account with a bank in Pakistan. This is required to deposit the fee for obtaining an import/export license.
- Register with Trade Organizations: Register with the relevant trade organizations such as Chamber of Commerce or Trade Associations, etc.
- Obtain a Certificate of Incorporation: If you are a company, you need to obtain a Certificate of Incorporation from the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP).
- Submit an application: Submit an application to the Trade Development Authority of Pakistan (TDAP) or the relevant ministry. You need to provide details about your business, the goods you want to import/export, and other relevant information.
- Pay the fee: Pay the prescribed fee to the relevant authority.
- Wait for approval: After submitting the application and fee, you need to wait for approval. Once your application is approved, you will receive the import/export license.
NOC from Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
The Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency (Pak-EPA) is responsible for ensuring the enforcement of environmental laws and regulations in Pakistan. Any industry or business that can have a negative impact on the environment is required to obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Pak-EPA before starting their operations.
To obtain a NOC from Pak-EPA, the following steps must be taken:
- The applicant must first fill out the relevant application form, available on the Pak-EPA website or office.
- Along with the application form, the applicant must submit the required documents, including a copy of their national identity card, details of the project, and an environmental impact assessment report.
- The application and documents are then reviewed by the Pak-EPA to ensure that the proposed project meets all environmental regulations and standards.
- The Pak-EPA may conduct an inspection of the proposed project site to ensure that the applicant is following all environmental laws and regulations.
- If the Pak-EPA is satisfied that the project meets all environmental standards, it will issue a NOC to the applicant.
It is important to note that the Pak-EPA has the power to revoke the NOC if the applicant fails to comply with environmental regulations and standards or if it is found that the project is having a negative impact on the environment. Therefore, it is crucial for businesses to ensure that they follow all environmental laws and regulations to maintain their NOC.
NOC from Ministry of Interior
To get NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Ministry of Interior in Pakistan, you need to follow these steps:
- Submit an application: Write an application addressed to the Ministry of Interior requesting an NOC. Include your name, address, and other relevant details.
- Attach required documents: Attach the following documents with your application:
- Copy of National Identity Card (NIC)
- Copy of Passport (if you are a foreign national)
- Copy of Business Registration Certificate (if applicable)
- Copy of Property Documents (if applicable)
- Pay the fee: Pay the prescribed fee for the NOC. You can get information about the fee from the Ministry of Interior.
- Wait for processing: After submitting your application and required documents, you will have to wait for the NOC to be processed. The time it takes to process an NOC can vary, so be patient.
- Receive the NOC: Once your NOC has been processed, you will receive it from the Ministry of Interior.
NOC from Ministry of Defence
Obtaining an NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Ministry of Defence in Pakistan is required for various purposes such as importing or exporting certain goods, undertaking construction projects, or conducting research. Here are the steps to obtain an NOC from the Ministry of Defence:
- Prepare an application: The first step is to prepare an application requesting the NOC from the Ministry of Defence. The application should include all the necessary details, such as the purpose of the request, the type of activity for which the NOC is needed, and any other relevant information.
- Attach required documents: The next step is to attach all the required documents to the application. These documents may include a copy of the CNIC (Computerized National Identity Card), a copy of the passport (in case of foreigners), a copy of the company registration certificate, and any other documents relevant to the purpose of the NOC.
- Submit the application: Once the application is complete with all the required documents, it should be submitted to the Ministry of Defence. The application can be submitted either in person or through a courier service.
- Wait for processing: The processing time for an NOC application from the Ministry of Defence can vary depending on the type of request and the workload of the Ministry. It is advisable to follow up with the Ministry of Defence to ensure timely processing of the application.
- Receive the NOC: Once the NOC is approved, it will be issued by the Ministry of Defence. The applicant can collect the NOC in person or through a designated representative.
It is important to note that the process for obtaining an NOC from the Ministry of Defence can be time-consuming and may require additional documentation or information, depending on the nature of the request.
A drug license is a permit issued by the government to individuals or businesses to manufacture, distribute, sell, or stock drugs or medicines. In Pakistan, the Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP) is responsible for regulating and issuing drug licenses.
Here are the steps to get a drug license in Pakistan:
- Choose the type of drug license you need: There are three types of drug licenses in Pakistan: retail, wholesale, and manufacturing.
- Prepare the required documents: The documents required for a drug license application vary depending on the type of license you are applying for. Generally, you will need to provide a copy of your National Identity Card (NIC), educational and experience certificates, a bank statement, a rent agreement or property documents, and a layout plan of the premises.
- Submit the application: You can submit the application along with the required documents to the office of the DRAP or online through their website.
- Inspection: After submitting the application, an inspection team will visit the premises to ensure that they meet the required standards.
- Pay the fees: Once the inspection is completed, you will be required to pay the prescribed fee for the license.
- Issuance of license: After the payment of fees, your application will be processed, and if everything is found to be in order, your drug license will be issued.
It is important to note that the process for obtaining a drug license in Pakistan can be complicated, and it is recommended that you consult with a lawyer or expert in the field to ensure that you meet all the requirements and comply with the regulations.
PTA NOC (Pakistan Telecommunication Authority No Objection Certificate) is a certificate required for the import and sale of telecommunication equipment in Pakistan. It is issued by the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) which is responsible for regulating and overseeing telecommunication services and equipment in the country.
Here are the steps to obtain a PTA NOC in Pakistan:
- Submit an application to PTA: The first step is to submit an application to PTA for obtaining the NOC. The application should include all relevant details of the equipment to be imported or sold in Pakistan.
- Provide technical details: Along with the application, you need to provide technical details of the equipment, including its specifications and features.
- Wait for processing: Once the application is submitted, PTA will review it and process it accordingly. This process may take several days, depending on the complexity of the application.
- Receive PTA NOC: If the application is approved, you will receive the PTA NOC. This certificate is mandatory for the import and sale of telecommunication equipment in Pakistan.
It’s important to note that obtaining a PTA NOC is only one of the requirements for importing telecommunication equipment in Pakistan. Other regulations and requirements may apply, and it’s essential to follow all necessary procedures to avoid any legal issues.
BOI NOC stands for Board of Investment No Objection Certificate, which is a clearance certificate issued by the Board of Investment in Pakistan. This certificate is required for foreign investors who want to start a business or invest in Pakistan.
To get a BOI NOC, the following steps need to be taken:
- Visit the Board of Investment website (http://www.boi.gov.pk/) and download the relevant application form.
- Fill out the application form completely and attach all the required documents, including a business plan, company profile, and bank statement.
- Submit the application along with the required documents to the nearest BOI office.
- Pay the required fee for processing the application.
- Wait for the BOI to review the application and conduct a due diligence check.
- Once the application is approved, the BOI will issue the NOC.
It is important to note that the process of getting a BOI NOC may vary depending on the type and size of the investment.
It is important to note that the above list is not exhaustive and the requirements may vary based on the type and nature of the business. It is recommended to consult with a legal professional to ensure all necessary NOCs, licenses, and permits are obtained before incorporating a company in Pakistan.