To register a brand in Pakistan, you will need to follow the following steps:
- Conduct a trademark search: Before applying for trademark registration, it is important to conduct a search to ensure that the brand name or logo is not already in use by another entity. This can be done through the Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan (IPO-Pakistan).
- Prepare and file the trademark application: The trademark application should include the following information: the name and address of the applicant, a clear representation of the trademark, the goods and services for which the trademark will be used, and the class of goods and services under the Nice Classification System.
- Pay the required fee: The fee for filing a trademark application in Pakistan is PKR 10,000 per class of goods and services.
- Wait for the trademark examination report: After the trademark application has been filed, IPO-Pakistan will conduct a formal examination and issue a trademark examination report. If the trademark is approved, it will be published in the IPO-Pakistan’s Official Gazette.
- Respond to objections, if any: If there are any objections to the trademark, the applicant will have an opportunity to respond and address the objections.
- Obtain trademark registration: If the trademark is approved, IPO-Pakistan will issue a trademark registration certificate, which will be valid for ten years from the date of registration and may be renewed thereafter.
The following documents are required to register a trademark in Pakistan:
- The completed trademark application form
- A clear representation of the trademark
- Proof of payment of the required fee
- Power of Attorney, if the trademark is being filed by a representative
You can check the status of a trademark in Pakistan by conducting a trademark search through the Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan (IPO-Pakistan). The following steps can be followed:
- Visit the IPO-Pakistan website: You can access the IPO-Pakistan website .
- Search for the trademark: On the IPO-Pakistan website, click on the “Trademark Search” tab and enter the name of the trademark you want to search for in the search field.
- Review the results: The results of the trademark search will show whether the trademark is registered, pending, or if there are any objections or oppositions to the trademark.
- Review the trademark details: If the trademark is registered, you can view the details of the trademark, including the owner’s name, the date of registration, the goods and services for which the trademark is registered, and the trademark’s status.
It’s important to note that the trademark registration process can take several months, and it’s recommended to seek the assistance of a trademark attorney to ensure that the trademark application is properly prepared and filed.