How to check your company’s tax registration status in Pakistan
If you are running a business in Pakistan, you need to register with the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) and obtain a National Tax Number (NTN). This will enable you to file your tax returns and pay your taxes online. But how do you know if your company is registered and active in the tax system? Here are some ways to check your company’s tax registration status in Pakistan.
Verification through Online Portal
The easiest way to check your company’s tax registration status is to use the online portal of the FBR. You can access the portal at https://e.fbr.gov.pk/esbn/ and select the option “Check Active Taxpayer Status”. You will need to enter your company’s NTN or CNIC (if you are a sole proprietor) and click on “Verify”. The portal will show you whether your company is on the Active Taxpayer List (ATL) or not. The ATL is a list of taxpayers who have filed their tax returns for the previous tax year and are eligible for certain benefits and concessions.
Check Active Taxpayer Status by SMS
Another way to check your company’s tax registration status is to send an SMS to 9966. You can check your company’s status by following these steps:
– For a company or an association of persons (AOP), type “ATL (space) 7 digits NTN” and send to 9966.
– For an individual or a sole proprietor, type “ATL (space) 13 digits CNIC” and send to 9966.
– For an individual or a company registered in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), type “AJKATL (space) CNIC (without dashes)” or “AJKATL (space) 11 digit NTN (without dashes)” and send to 9966.
You will receive a reply from the FBR with your company’s tax registration status.
Check Active Taxpayer Status by Downloading ATL
You can also check your company’s tax registration status by downloading the ATL from the FBR website. The ATL is updated every week and contains the names and NTNs of all active taxpayers. You can download the ATL from https://www.fbr.gov.pk/categ/active-taxpayer-list-income-tax/51147/30859/71169 and search for your company’s name or NTN. If your company is on the list, it means it is registered and active in the tax system.
Active Taxpayer Benefits
Why is it important to check your company’s tax registration status and be on the ATL? Being an active taxpayer has many benefits, such as:
– Lower withholding tax rates on various transactions and payments
– Exemption from withholding tax on cash withdrawals from banks
– Preference in government contracts and tenders
– Ease of obtaining loans and credit facilities from banks
– Enhanced reputation and credibility in the market
– Compliance with the law and avoidance of penalties and fines
Therefore, it is advisable to check your company’s tax registration status regularly and ensure that you file your tax returns on time and pay your taxes online. This will help you enjoy the benefits of being an active taxpayer and contribute to the national development.