To register a patent in Pakistan, you will need to follow the following steps:
- Conduct a patent search: Before applying for a patent, it is important to conduct a patent search to ensure that the invention is novel and non-obvious and that it is not already patented by someone else. This can be done through the Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan (IPO-Pakistan).
- Prepare and file the patent application: The patent application should include the following information: a written description of the invention, drawings or illustrations of the invention if necessary, a claim or claims defining the scope of the invention, and any relevant background information.
- Pay the required fee: The fee for filing a patent application in Pakistan is PKR 10,000 per application.
- Wait for the patent examination report: After the patent application has been filed, IPO-Pakistan will conduct a formal examination and issue a patent examination report. If the patent is approved, it will be published in the IPO-Pakistan’s Official Gazette.
- Respond to objections, if any: If there are any objections to the patent, the applicant will have an opportunity to respond and address the objections.
- Obtain patent registration: If the patent is approved, IPO-Pakistan will issue a patent registration certificate, which will be valid for twenty years from the date of filing and may be renewed thereafter.
The following documents are required to register a patent in Pakistan:
- The completed patent application form
- A written description of the invention
- Drawings or illustrations of the invention, if necessary
- Claims defining the scope of the invention
- Proof of payment of the required fee
- Power of Attorney, if the patent is being filed by a representative
You can search for a patent in Pakistan through the Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan (IPO-Pakistan). The following steps can be followed:
- Visit the IPO-Pakistan website: You can access the IPO-Pakistan website.
- Search for the patent: On the IPO-Pakistan website, click on the “Patent Search” tab and enter the name of the patent or keywords related to the patent in the search field.
- Review the results: The results of the patent search will show whether the patent is registered, pending, or if there are any objections or oppositions to the patent.
- Review the patent details: If the patent is registered, you can view the details of the patent, including the inventor’s name, the date of registration, the title of the invention, and the patent’s status.
- Download the patent specification: If desired, you can download a copy of the patent specification, which provides a detailed description of the invention.
It’s important to note that the patent search only provides information about the status of a patent and does not provide legal advice. If you need more information or if you want to take legal action regarding a patent, it’s recommended to seek the assistance of a patent attorney.
HOW TO REGISTER PATENT IN PAKISTAN?